What you should know
- The hollow arrow appears when an app or service receives your location under certain conditions.
- You can either turn off the location service completely, turn off the service or app that uses the location with certain conditions, or hide the icon on the status bar to get rid of the hollow arrow.
- To disable location services: Go to settings > Privacy & Security > Location services > toggle off the “Location services”.
- To turn off location to a specific app that uses the hollow arrow: Go to settings > Privacy & Security > Location services > tap the app which shows a hollow arrow next to it > Never.
- To turn off only the icon on the status bar: Go to settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services > toggle off the Status Bar Icon.
For a detailed guide on how to get rid of hollow arrow on the iPhone, keep reading below.
If you’ve had a hard time finding a solution to get rid of the hollow arrow on your iPhone, then we are here to help you.
Before proceeding with the steps, you should know why and when it appears on your iPhone.
Why does a hollow arrow appear on your iPhone?
As you all know, a small little arrow on the status bar means the location is being used but if an app or service tries to use your location under certain conditions, it will be denoted by the hollow arrow.
To make it clear to you,
If an app is set to track your location when something occurs, then the iOS will display the hollow arrow until that “something” occurs.
For example, If you use an app that tracks your location when you move but you currently not moving, you will get a hollow arrow icon. Because the app is not using the location services since you’re not moving. However, when you start to move, the hollow icon will be changed to the filled arrow.
To get rid of the hollow arrow on iPhone, you can
- Disable the location service completely
- Turn off the location services to apps that use them under certain conditions
- Turn off the location icon on the status bar
How to get rid of hollow arrow on iPhone?
You can use the following methods mentioned below to turn off the hollow arrow.
Disable the location service completely
- Open the settings app on your iPhone and tap “Privacy & Security”.
- On the following page, tap “Location Services” and then tap the toggle next to “Location Services“.
You might like: 16 Hidden iPhone Tips & Tricks that Apple Won’t Tell You
Disable location service to a specific app
Using this feature, you can disable the location services of any specific app. This way, you can actually prevent access to location services of any app that users them under certain conditions.
- Open the “Settings” app and tap “Privacy & Security”.
- Then, tap “Location Services”.
- On the following page, you can find all the apps that are permitted to track your location. Ultimately, apps that are using the location with certain conditions are denoted by the hollow arrow next to it. (None of my apps on my device have those kinds of apps, so there is no such arrow but let’s take Snapchat as an example)
- Tap on those apps and then tap “Never” under allow location access.
- Additionally, you can find all the iOS services that have access to the location under “System Services”. Make sure to check that as well since few of them have location access with conditions.
You might like: 25 Best iPhone Games That You Must Try in 2022
Hide the hollow arrow icon from the status bar
You can simply hide the hollow arrow icon from the status bar instead of disabling anything. However, this works only for system services mentioned on the current page.
Let’s see how to do it.
- Go to the “Settings app” and tap “Privacy & Security”.
- Then tap “Location Services” and go to “System Services”.
- Scroll all the way down and toggle off the switch next to the “Status Bar Icon”.
By using these methods, you can get rid of the hollow arrow on your iPhone.
I have also mentioned why the hollow appears with an example and how it differs from other location services icons to help you understand better.
If you have any doubts, feel free to comment down below.