What you should know
Truecaller can be removed as the default dialer by the following steps.
- Open the “Settings” app.
- Now go to “Apps” and then tap “Choose default apps“.
- On the following page, tap “Phone app” and select your default dialer.
These steps work for most Android phones with an exclusion for Redmi and Poco because these two phones follow a slightly different process.
For a more detailed guide with screenshots and steps for Redmi and Poco, keep reading below.
Truecaller is one of the best apps to stop spam calls but the problem is that the app asks you to set it as the default dialer to work to its full potential.
When you first install Truecaller, it will ask you to set it as the default dialer. Most people prefer the default dialer but if you don’t pay attention to the steps while setting up Truecaller, you will end up setting it as the default dialer.
In other cases, you might give permission intentionally to be your default dialer to test the features of the Truecaller initially, but later you just want to remove it.
If these are your scenarios, here’s how to remove Truecaller as default dialer from your phone.
How to remove Truecaller as the default dialer?
The steps below are followed on the Samsung galaxy device but it is quite similar on other Android devices.
- Open your “Settings” app.
- Find and tap “Apps” and then “Choose default apps“.
- On the next page, all the default apps will be listed. Tap the “Phone app” and select your default “Phone” app.
How to change the full-screen takeover by Truecaller?
Instead of removing the Truecaller as your default dialer, you can change the full-screen takeover of the app.
When the Truecaller takes the full screen, it completely blocks your default phone and greets you with its own UI when receiving the call.
Some might like this but some don’t. If you don’t like it and want to disable this particular feature, you can do it without completely changing the default dialer.
- Open the “Truecaller” app and tap your profile icon on the top left of the screen (near the search area).
- On your profile page, tap “Settings” on the top right and then tap “Caller ID“.
- Under choose style section, select “Classic Popup“.
This will disable the full screen and enables a small popup that detects and informs you about the caller while receiving the call from the default stock phone app.
How to remove true caller as the default SMS app?
Truecaller not only replaces the stock dialer but also the SMS app if you allow it.
I would always recommend not giving permission to 3rd party apps to access your SMS and messages. This will allow those apps to read the messages that are being received.
To remove the Truecaller from the default SMS app, follow the same steps as you would do to remove the dialer until you reach the default apps screen. Now tap the SMS app and select your phone’s default messaging app.
How to remove Truecaller as the default dialer on Redmi and Poco?
Since both Redmi and Poco are under the same brand, Xiaomi, they share the same process to remove Truecaller as the default dialer.
- Go to “Settings“, and tap “Apps”.
- On the following page, tap “Manage apps“.
- Now, tap the three vertical dots on the top right corner of the screen and select “Default apps“.
- Finally, tap “Dial” and then choose “Contacts and Dialer (System)“.
How to remove Truecaller as the default dialer on other Android phones?
All the Android phones including Vivo, and Oneplus follow the same pattern to change the default apps.
- Go to “Settings“, and then “Apps“.
- Now tap “Default apps“, and select “Phone app“.
- Finally, select “Phone (system default)“.
Frequently Asked Questions about removing Truecaller as default.
How do I remove Truecaller from my phone?
If you’re not satisfied with the Truecaller even after changing the default calling app, you can completely remove it from your phone.
1. Go to Settings -> Apps -> Truecaller and tap Uninstall.
Alternatively, you can tap and hold the app on the home screen or app screen and tap uninstall to remove it.
Should I set Truecaller as default?
Having Truecaller as the default dialer is up to. If you want to give full control of your calls and contacts and block spam calls, you can set it as default.
Truecaller can be a great way to stop spam calls or find who is calling. But that can also be overwhelming sometimes. So removing Trucaller as the default dialer must be the choice at some point and this article must have guided you to do it.
Apart from the dialer, I have also included steps to remove Trucaller from the default SMS app to prevent Trucaller from accessing your messages.