What you should know
- There is no official option to turn off reels on Facebook.
- To avoid reels, you have to use Facebook on a browser like Chrome or Firefox. On the mobile browser version of Facebook, the reels will be turned off by default.
- Another way is using 3rd party apps like Friendly Social Browser or Phoenix. This will also allow you to browse through Facebook without the reels section.
- The older version of the Facebook app doesn’t include the reel section either. So you can use Facebook without reels on it. Though it’s not recommended but a possible way.
If you’re like me who gets annoyed by reels, then you should be searching for a way to turn off reels on Facebook.
Reels was first launched on Instagram in august 2020 to compete with Tiktok. As a huge success, Meta decided to introduce the same to the Facebook platform. On August 2022, after 2 years of the original launch, reels were integrated into the iOS and Android apps of Facebook.
Reels might be a good way to entertain yourself, but it’s not everyone enjoys playing with reels.
Unfortunately, Facebook pushes the users into the reels while scrolling through Facebook which is completely annoying and there is no option to turn it off.
But there are a few other ways that you can use Facebook without being annoyed by reels.
In this article, I will be sharing a few methods to turn off reels on Facebook, be less annoyed, or possibly reduce the amount that appears on your feed.
Use Facebook on a browser
Surprisingly, Facebook doesn’t include reels on the browser version accessed from mobile. So using Facebook from mobile browsers such as Chrome, Firefox or Opera will allow you to use Facebook without reels.
This is currently the only official way. However, don’t get tensed if Facebook includes reels on this method too because It might happen sooner or later.
Until then, make use of it.
Use 3rd party tools to access Facebook
3rd party tools like Friendly Social Browser or Phoenix will allow you to use Facebook without the reels section.
For example, you can use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Messenger, and other social media apps altogether on Friendly. This will drastically reduce the size of these apps taken on your phone. This was the main goal of the app but luckily, it can also be used to browse through Facebook without annoying reels.
Please don’t mistake me for calling the reels annoying.
Alternative solution: Turn off Autoplay videos
This will not remove the reels from your Facebook feed but will stop them from auto-playing. Trust me, this was the best possible way to get less annoyed by reels.
- Open the Facebook app and tap your profile picture.
- On the following page, tap “Settings ⚙️” and then tap “Profile settings”.
- Scroll down and tap “Media and contacts“. This will open all the settings related to media playback and contacts.
- Finally, tap “autoplay” and choose “Never autoplay videos“
Turn off your own reels on Facebook
This option will turn off sharing your own reel to the Facebook audience. This might be a good option to grow your audience but if you would like to turn it off, follow the steps below.
- Head over to the Instagram app and open your profile.
- Tap the “three hamburger icon ☰ ” on the top right corner to pull up the menu.
- Now, tap “Settings” and then tap “Privacy“
- Once the privacy options have been opened, tap “Reels and Remix“. This will only be visible if your account is public.
- Under Facebook, toggle off the “Recommend on Facebook” option.
Reels on Facebook are one of the best ways to get entertained but not everyone likes to be a part of the reel’s viewership.
Facebook has not yet provided an official way to turn off videos, but there are several ways you can stay away from them. Using mobile browsers, and third-party apps, and turning off auto-play videos are some of the solutions.
I guess Facebook will never give us an option to turn off reels completely, so it’s better for us to get used to it or use these methods to stay away from as long as it works.